Tuesday, October 23, 2012

We're not crazy...

A friend just told me

"we're not crazy... we just have a lot of weird life experiences"

This is absolutely true.


We're reading "7 habit of highly effective people" for our staff mtg's right now... and today we had to read "habit 1 - proactivity" and - it's not exactly what you think it is.  It's not just being proactive - but choosing to respond rather than react to a situation.  While i was reading the chapter i kept thinking - well, of course you get to choose how you respond to issues" and "why would you focus on things you have no control of, that doesn't make any sense"... The chapter was about your "responsibility" (or your ability to repsond) in a certain way. To focus on the the things that you can change - and change them - not to focus on things out of your control. That you get to choose your attitude in every situation. That humans have the ability to be self aware. That even though there are things that happen to us, that are out of our control - we still get to choose how we respond to them. To always work on the "be" rather than worrying about the "have".

As i was reading through the chapter i kept getting sidetracked on various stories/experiences from my life that have happened to me, and how i've responded to them. Especially one that happened recently on a commute to work.

We had gotten a late night email about a set of questions we had to have answered before our staff mtg later that day. Rob was all worked up and pist about how controlling it was, and how somebody must have done something to really piss our boss off, and how it's not fair to punish everyone, instead of just calling out the person who's attitude is the problem... the more he talked, the more nervous i got - trying to rack my brain and remember if i had done something recently that would have shown disrespect during our meetings... but at the same time - i realized that my attitude and Rob's were very different. He was stressed out of it and all worked up - and i wasn't. So I put in my two cents. "we don't know why he sent out the email - and if you havn't done anything wrong, why are you all stressed out about it. Just answer the questions and go on with your day. If you know your actions havn't caused this - don't worry about it."

I didn't know it at the time, but i was using my ability to repsond to a situation.

It feels weird to say this - and i keep checking myself to make sure i'm not just saying it to get out of the hard work of changing and growing... but, as i read through the chapter i kept thinking "this is how i am already" I havn't let the things that have happened to me define me. I choose to have a good attitude and only worry about the things that i can change. I work on how to "be' a better leader, a better listener, a stronger person, how to "be" more trustworthy...

I obviously still have more work to do - i can grow more - i can become a better me. But, as i read this chapter - of this book that i don't really want to read (mostly because i'm defiant) - i thanked God for instilling this proactive attitude in me. Because if i didn't have it - if i didn't somehow naturally choose not to let others actions define me - i wouldn't be here today. I wouldn't be who i am, i wouldn't be where i am, and i wouldn't be doing what i'm doing.

I'm living into my ministry, i'm building into students, teaching them they're loved, and cared for - teaching them the fundamental truth's of scripture. Leading through doing - and being an example of God's love to all those around me.

But it's only because of God's grace that i can do those things.

The book used the story of Joseph. How Joseph was sold into slavery by his brothers - but he didn't wallow in self pity because of it (which, if anybody, he had a right to do) instead he chose to focus on making himself better in his situation. He became a trusted member of potiphers house. And when he found himself tricked into a situation - he chose to not back down on his values - and was thrown into jail for 13 years. But once again - he didn't wallow in pity (when, once again, he could have and no one would have called him out on it) instead, he kept working on making himself better. He became a trusted and influential person in the prison - bringing hope and encoruagement to many - including the guards - and eventually, because of his choices - became second only to pharoah.

God instilled something inside Joseph where he knew to focus on making himself better. He didn't have this book to read - he couldn't control his situations - but he focused on "being" a person of character. I think we all have it. We are all able to make the choices to become a better person. to respond to a situation instead of react. It comes easier to some, but, some are put in situations at such a young age that it has to come naturally. God knows what he's doing.

I challenge you to focus on the "be" rather than the "have"

If i would "have"...
If only i "had"...
If he "had"...
I wish i would "have"...

I can "be"...
I will "become"...
I choose to "be"...
How can i "become"...



No comments:

Post a Comment